Apr 26, 2008

Oddities.

Yesterday was an interesting day. I go to have lunch with my cousin, anyone who knows me knows the one thing I have an abundance of is cousins. I have more cousins than you can shake a stick at. I’m lucky that I have them too because they are nice people and as I grow older I come to appreciate them ever more with each day.

One cousin though is probably the closest thing I have to a brother. Hell, we’re not even first cousins but, because of the way life works out we have a very strong bond with one and other.

There’s a restaurant locally that I frequent and as it turns out, this cousin was very good friends with the family way back when he was a teenager and first arrived in this country. So, a few weeks back I was in there picking up takeout and I happened to mention to one of the daughters who works with her parents how my cousin knew them from long ago.

She immediately knew who I was talking about and admonished me for never mentioning it before that day. Mind you, I’ve been going to this restaurant for a good decade now and they know me and treat me quite well. So, then and there the plan was sprung to surprise her brother who was a very close friend of my cousin.

Yesterday, was the day of the surprise.

It was warm and sunny, certainly a perfect day to have a nice lunch. We got down there and the two of them were very happy to see each other and get reacquainted. I felt really pleased if only because I did something that made my cousin happy and he’s done so much for me I can’t ever really do enough for him.

Afterward we stopped to have coffee and oddly enough while we were sitting in the local Starbucks, who should walk in but Anna’s vet. He said hello and I thanked him again for all his efforts in caring for her but I had to admit it was a little odd.

No comments: